Sunday, March 21, 2010

Decor on the cheap

Sometimes the fruit here comes encased in these plastic foam 'things'. I guess it cushions the bottom of the fruit. I had thought of making them into flowers but I don't have much space for that so this seemed better. I'll have to see if I can find  more... and make a whole hanging curtain

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Past and future projects

 These are my first attempts at making these pendants. I bought them as part of a kit from and she also has her own website   
I think I had a few air bubbles - she recommends using clamps but finding the right clamps in Korea is another matter - I've been looking without much success - they are not big on home DIY here.
Anyway I finished these a while back but the airplane one was a present for my niece (who works as a travel agent) so I wanted to wait until she had received it before posting the image.

And this contraption is a longer term project - well we'll have to wait 4 months for the results. It is actually 3 film cannisters and I have tried to tape them to my window ledge and then have used chopsticks to keep the window open and hopefully the whole caboodle will stay steady in any weather because inside each cannister is a piece of film and each cannister is a pinhole camera. The hole is in the side so I have aimed 2 across the buildings/horizon and 1 is aimed into the sky. They are supposed to be taking something called a solargraph - and exposure can be 3-6months. It is for Tarja Trygg's PhD in Global Solargaphs - she is based in Helsinki, Finland - you can read all about it on and volunteer to take some from your lattitude/longtitude. I will post the results - but I think I may already have exposed one film when I accidentally opened the lid of one !!! oh dear...
I've also asked another photographer here to take some form her location (as they sent me 6 cannisters) so hopefully between us we will have at least one good solargraph from Korea

Saturday, March 6, 2010

Arty Projects

I got together with another Fine Arts graduate living here and we decided to work on something using the lovely paper available and to work to a deadline. The deadline is the key for me - otherwise I procrastinate forever.
Finally the end of January came around and I'd made a start

I really liked the translucence of the paper - especially when you can have light coming from behind it. By this stage we'd become 3 when a Kiwi friend of mine joined. We decided to run with the ideas for another month.


Using the wire shapes I added the paper. The yellow one was first and I'm not happy with the result - it wasn't possible to fold the paper over without losing some of the finer details. So then I tried the bottom one - the paper was stiffer and I just cut to shape and glued to the wire.

I used nylon fishing line to suspend them - but they are a little off centre...hmmm

I think we will continue with this so I'll see where it leads - over time I should get some new ideas. Meantime I think I like the wire shapes the best.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Knit project - Fair Isle

And here is my big project that I have been working on for the past 2 months. I was keen to finish it so I could get to wear it before the weather warms up too much.
It is a pattern from Knit 2 Together - and I have used the recommended Koigu wool.

The neat thing about the pattern is it has the usual front and back and then it has one side insert with a cute frill at the bottom - which gives it some shape.

So I am feeling very pleased with myself  - especially as it also fits really well - I never look at fit until I have finished so there is an element of luck!