Sunday, March 11, 2012

A Long Weekend of Knitting

Well I have just had a lovely long weekend attending Unwind - a knitting 'retreat' here in Dunedin.
It started on Friday and finished today - although I didn't go today as it was a trip to Flagstaff Alpacas and the Mill Shop - more for the out-of-town people - and I have ENOUGH wool now to last me for a bit....
Friday was a lazy day of people arriving, sitting around knitting and being tempted by the Trader Stalls selling delicious yarns. I helped out on the Registration desk - there were around 60 people attending - one even from Australia.
On Saturday there were classes - I went to one on steeking - the noble art of cutting one's knitting.
We started with this: a knitted tube
 then stitched it and cut it and practised various edges.

My Sunday class was on making a 'magic ball' and using it to knit Kaffe Fasset's Persian Poppies pattern.
We all took in spare wool and put it in the middle of the table. After choosing a background colour we then picked another 7 colours that were fairly close to each other, tonally, and proceeded to cut small lengths and knot them together and then wind it into a ball. Then it was knit time....
 It is great to see all the different colours people chose
And the  cheerful sample below is mine. 
I've even had an idea of something to make with it....
A lot of time was spent sitting around knitting so I've also made some progress on my Rainbow cardigan - which is also going to be my first proper steeking project

No comments:

Post a Comment